Monday, March 28, 2011

No frills rice and beans

There are probably a million and one ways to make rice and beans. Some dishes are loaded with seasoning, a variety of meats and beans and so forth. This recipe on the other hand, is very simple and super cheap. Which really is the point with rice and beans, being a staple of poorer households throughout Latin American and the Caribbean.

Chop one small onion, or about half of a larger onion. A regular sweet onion is fine, but if you get really teary-eyed chopping onions, you might opt for a white onion instead. They are a little more expensive, but more delicate in flavor and won't burn your eyes out while chopping. (Chopping an onion that is very cold also helps cut down on the eye-burn.)

Bring measured water to boil along with a good splash of canola oil. A few tablespoonfuls I suppose. You will probably need a little more water than is called for on your package instructions. I use Carolina jasmine rice. It is flavorful but not overpowering, and is quite versatile for recipes from East to West. The instructions call for 3 cups of water to 2 cups of rice, but I boil 4 cups of water.

Once you have it up to a rolling boil, add your onion, and cover again for another minute or so to get the temperature back up. Now add your rice, along with a packet chicken bouillon and any other seasonings you might enjoy. I rip out the flavor packet from a pack of ramen. Cheap, and I usually have at least a few packages laying around. (If you are a real pinch penny and trying to cut down on your sodium intake, you can even make your ramen with only on flavor packet for every two packets of ramen noodle, which will leave you with these leftover packets to use in other applications such as this.) Alternately, you might try boiling your rice in canned chicken broth, but it's going to up the cost of your meal. I don't add any salt as the flavor packet is already high in sodium. I often make this without any other seasoning at all, but today I added a few good shakes of dried parsley and some dried oregano and it came out quite savory.

Give it a quick stir, cover and leave the heat on high. Be patient, don't keep taking the top off to check or you will wind up with crunchy rice. I can usually tell when it's just about boiled down by listening to the bubbling under the lid. Of course, you don't want to burn it either, so timing is important. Making perfect rice is not quite as simple as some people might think. Even after you have cut the heat off, you are going to want to let the rice sit a little while longer and absorb the last of the moisture.

Now go ahead and toss in a half can of beans. Of course, you can use the whole can if you like, but I find half a can gives the best bean to rice ratio. Small red beans are my preference, but you might like other varieties. This time actually, I used Dominican red beans. The hot rice should help warm the beans after you have stirred them in being careful not to break them.

For some added flavor and to make a real meal out of it, you might also like to add some meat at this point. Today I used pork trimmings that I had fried up earlier and put aside. This is the stuff that butchers trim off all sorts of different cuts of pork when packaging. These leftover bits you can usually find a package of for about a dollar or so. I chopped about a pound of the meat up into bite size bits and pan fried in a little canola oil. Simple as that. You might also try cooking the meat in a variety of sauces or spice blends, but I kept it really basic today. I also cooked the rice in the juices leftover from cooking the pork. I deglazed the pan with the water for boiling the rice, and used a spoon to get the little bits at the bottom loose from the pan before bringing to a boil.

And so, that's that, very simple, very flavorful, very affordable rice and beans.
Here is your shopping list:

Rice (Carolina Jasmine), can of beans (small red), onion, package of ramen (to pirate the flavor packet), pork trimmings, canola oil, parsley, oregano.

1 comment:

  1. this stuff has become one of my all-time favorites ... I can't get enough once I start, and it's so healthy that i can eat all i want... It doesn't get better than that... PLUS> I can take a container orf it to work or a park ... fast food from home... THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete